Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Trailer Trash Re-treasured Dresser/Shelf



Here's a fun little riddle.
I have a potato duck taped to my butt. Who am I?
Yeah it's me!
I was stung by a wasper yesterday and the slice of potato is supposed to draw out the poison. It's not working. I think my mom fibbered and is secretly giggling at my gullibleness.
Anyway on to my dresser project. So I was having a problem with Little Miss Fingers constantly pulling everything off the bottom shelves in her bedroom. Basically making them completely useless for storage. So I needed a solution fast. I decided to take my dresser a friend gave me and the now useless bookcase that I've had since high school and slap them together. Turned into a nice functional piece I'm quite proud of, that took me no time to do.
 
Now how did I do it is the question.
 
 
      1. Removed all the handles from the dresser first of course.
      2. The top was a laminate so I had to rough it up a bit to help the primer stick better. I simply whipped out a piece of sandpaper, no specific grain and rubbed it down. Would even recommend rubbing down the rest of the dresser if you have the patience.
      3. Clean it! Get a wet rag and wipe it down real good to remove all the dust from sanding.
      4. The primer is the most vital part. It helps the paint stick to the wood and makes the color of the paint more accurate. I used Krylon indoor/outdoor, white primer, spray paint. I sprayed the surface in 3 thin layers. Waiting about 5-10mins between coats.
      5. After letting the primer dry for about 2hrs I started the first coat of paint. I used Glidden High Indurance, semi gloss in Enchanted Violet. It's the Disney collection at Wal-Mart. Cutest color choices you've ever seen!
      6. While waiting for the first coat to dry(about an hour outside in the shade) I removed the cardboard back from the bookcase and had my step-dad cut the bookcase in half. A carpet knife is easiest to use when cutting the cardboard.
      7. Before nailing the cardboard back on to the bookcase halves, I found a really pretty piece of material and stapled it onto the edges of the cardboard. I would recommend using spray adhesive you buy in the craft section. I didn't have any on hand, and didn't feel like running to the store so I made do with staples. Impatience at its finest. I then nailed them back on, staples all well hidden I promise.
      8. Painted a second coat on the dresser, spray painted the handles white with some white paint that I found and let it all dry overnight. Next day, put handles back on, flipped the bookcase pieces upside down and sat them on top. Inserted the shelves, decorated, and viola. Project finished and Little Miss Fingers can't reach high enough to pull anything off.
      Just wanted to mention if your going to do a kitchen table or coffee table which gets used a lot, I would not take the easy way like I did here with the dresser. A sander and poly would be recommended.
             
             







            No comments:

            Post a Comment